Texas Man breaks law but saves his son as he was in coma

Texas Man breaks law but saves his son as he was in coma

Pinehurst, Texas resident George Pickering pulled out a 9mm handgun at Tomball Regional Medical Center to save his son. Remembering the incident that happened 11 months back, Pickering II admitted that he was aggressive and drunk on that day. The hospital staff called police for help as Pickering was trying to save his son.

Pickering’s son, George Pickering III was on life support. He had a history of seizures. But, after he suffered a massive stroke in January, he went into coma. After the doctors didn’t see much improvement in his condition, they decided to pull out the life support systems.

As the father of the patient was aggressive and inebriated, hospital staff appointed Pickering's ex-wife and his other son to make decisions for George III, and had alerted an organ donor organization as to his imminent death. After the hospital approved a “terminal wean” — which slowly removes life support — George II decided it was time to act, he said.

As he rushed to the hospital with a gun, he staged a siege to save his son. “During that three hours, George squeezed my hand three or four times on command,” said Pickering.

Trying to save his son and demanding the life support systems to continue, Pickering yelled, “I’ll kill all of you,” and pointed the gun at hospital workers. A nurse and Pickering’s ex-wife left after he reportedly said, “You don’t think that’s the only weapon I got.”

His other son quickly disarmed Pickering. However, he didn’t surrender to police for hours. The stand-off between SWAT officers and Pickering II led to lot of tension in the hospital. Pickering was finally arrested by SWAT officers.

He was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. One of his charges was later dropped and other was changed to state jail felony.

When Pickering Senior finally got the answer he needed from his son, he handed himself over to authorities peacefully after a three-hour stand-off. His son is now out of the coma and fully recovered after a miraculous turn of events.

"They were moving too fast. The hospital, the nurses, the doctors. I knew if I had three or four hours that night that I would know whether George was brain-dead," the elder Pickering said. He agrees to the charges of being drunk and violent on that fateful night when he threatened the hospital staff. But in his defense, he said that his son was not ready to die just yet, he still had to live

Pickering was released from jail this month. Pickering II added that one can call it ‘Father’s Intuition’. He was sure that his son wasn’t brain dead and he decided that it was time for him to do something.

Pickering’s son has made a miraculous recovery. He is now celebrating Christmas with his father. “The important thing is I'm alive and well, my father is home and we're together again,” George Pickering III said.

Texas Cities: